Thursday, October 9, 2008

Julia Child's Vegan Bastard Stepchild

That's how my roommates described me after I pulled these out of the oven. They were initially under the impression that they were chocolate-chip cookies, but in reality they're black bean and black-eyed pea cakes held together by a smushy blended mixture of black eyed peas, silken tofu, onion, garlic, soy sauce, and hot sauce. These took quite a while to make, but the magic of Thursday night is that class ends at 4 and I don't have any homework for the next day. That means I can spend all evening cooking.

I also set about making some homemade baba ghanouj, which was incredibly easy and will now add to my repertoire of spreads to put on lunchtime lettuce wraps. Yes, no more sandwiches for me. I've decided to essentially follow the Eat to Live diet, which encourages a limited consumption of breads, pastas, starchy vegetables, and grains and unlimited raw and cooked vegetables plus plenty of beans and fruits. That seems like a diet I could really stick to in the long term and it understands what's really healthy and should be encouraged (veggies, fruits, and beans) and what's okay but shouldn't be a part of your diet too often (bread! I love bread!). I'm feeling great so far and not hungry. Hurrah healthy eating and weightloss!

2 comments:

donesmoking said...

Julia Child's Vegan Bastard Stepchild
---> LOL

Jen Treehugger said...

I laughed so much at that title!!
Those cutlets look yummy!