Friday, October 17, 2008

Never Go In With A Plan


The selection of vegetables at my local grocery store is a total crapshoot. One day they may have baby bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, and the next they may not even have red bell peppers. That's why trying to plan a recipe you're going to have for dinner that night is next to impossible. For example, this afternoon I thought that I would have a shiitake, tofu, and bok choy stir fry with a spicy black bean sauce, based on the availability of all of those ingredients in the past. When I got there, of course, they had neither the mushrooms, nor the bok choy. It was time for Plan B.

Plan B, which is how I do 99% of my cooking, is just looking around to see what they have or what catches my eye and throwing something together based on that. I was in a mustard-y mood, so I decided to turn the tofu into a vehicle for mustard and serve it over some spinach. Hence, tofu encrusted in a mixture of semi-grainy dijon mustard and mustard seeds that I toasted myself and mixed in. It seems my motto is "For best results: improvise, improvise, improvise."

2 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

I like plan B! Plan B looks good!

Bethany said...

I love tofu. yours looks great.

my plan b w/ tofu is always a simple teriyaki marinate for about 10 minutes, then fry it up. oh and turn on the stove's fan :)